Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Coconut Toffee Cookies
Makes 2 dozen (3" diameter cookies)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal (or quick oats)
1/2 cup toffee bits
1 cup chocolate chips (dark works best in my opinion)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread shredded coconut in a thin layer. Toast coconut in the oven for 5-7 minutes, stirring halfway through. When coconut is lightly browned, remove from oven and set aside to cool. Keep lined cookie sheet to use for baking the cookies.
- Raise oven temperature and preheat oven to 375F. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use a stand or hand mixer to cream together the butter and brown sugar until mixture is light and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add egg and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth. Add flour mixture and stir until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Add oatmeal, toasted coconut, and toffee bits and stir. The batter will be very thick at this point. By hand, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop 1 1/2 tablespoons (medium OXO cookie scoop) of dough onto a lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until edges are firm and cookies are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.