|Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake|
|Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake|
Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temperature
1 cups (200 grams) granulated sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
Filling and Topping:
2 cups or 12 ounces semi- or bittersweet chocolate chips or coarsely chopped chocolate bars
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and lightly flour a 9x13 baking pan or glass Pyrex pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon for filling and topping.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Alternately mix in sour cream and then dry ingredients into butter mixture until both are used up and the batter is smooth and very thick.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs whites until stiff and then fold into batter.
- Spread half the cake batter in the bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Spoon remaining cake batter over the filling in the pan. Use an offset spatula to gently spread batter evenly over the filling and smooth the top. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture and chocolate chips. Using your palm, gently press the chocolate chips into the batter a bit to make sure they stick.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, rotating halfway through, until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool, slice, and enjoy!